| Quick Search:
VHB s Atlanta office is seeking to employ a full-time Archaeologist Princip
Investigator to support our growing environmental team. Well qualified
candidates will have primary experience conducting Phase I and II
archaeological investigations in support of transportation improvement projects
in the southeastern United States. In addition, the successful candidate would
demonstrate the ability to work successfully, both independently and as part of
a larger cultural resource team, in managing the key responsibilities required
of the position.
* Conduct Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III archaeological surveys and
* Prepare technical reports which assess archaeological site significance
under Criterion D of the National Register of Historic Places.
* Prepare field survey and geographic maps using the ESRI suite of software
* Coordinates regulatory compliance efforts with federal, state, municipal,
and tribal agencies.
* Provides artifact analysis and assists curation efforts
* Conducts archival and historical background research
* Supervise and mentor junior level staff
* Support and build clientele
* Provide support and technical assistance with senior level staff
* Assist with mapping responsibilities in the field, including collection
of GPS data using Trimble units
Skills and Qualifications:
* Master s Degree (or higher) in anthropology, archaeology, or a closel
* Current standing member of the Register of Professional Archaeologists
(RPA), or qualified archaeologist under the Secretary of the Interior
* 3 to 7 years professional experience as an Archaeologist conducting
Cultural Resource Management in the United States.
* Valid driver s license.
* Familiarity working with various state and federal laws (i.e. NEPA, ARPA,
NHPA, NAGPRA, etc.) pertaining to historic preservation.
* Working knowledge of Section 106 of the National Register of Historic
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, ArcGIS, and the ESRI suite of
* Ability to travel to a location, walk/hike and conduct fieldwork for long
hours, sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, and ability to
carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required.
* Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
* Team oriented with strong capability to work independently
* Motivated to lead and mentor others
VHB s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and
designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation,
real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state,
and local governments. Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance
communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure
needs with environmental stewardship.
At VHB, we re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity,
and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the
future of our communities in a meaningful way. We re proud, yet humbled, to
have been doing this for 40+ years. We are dedicated to making a positive
impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
New employees beginning prior to Labor Day 2020 will likely be onboarded
virtually and begin their employment remotely. We are in the process of
planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and
Apply now Apply
Email this job to a friend Refer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh
the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and veterans, are
encouraged to apply. You can review our EEO Policy here and an overview of the
VHB participates in the E-verify employment authorization program.
VHB also maintains a drug-free workplace
Third Party Recruiters, please review our requirements and policy document here
If you are in need of special assistance in applying for individuals with
disabilities or limited English proficiency, please call our HR contact, Janis
Carr at or email
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Apply For This Job: Archaeologist Principal Investigator